2 Hopkins Plaza


2 Hopkins Plaza was built in 1969 for the Mercantile Deposit and Trust Company, and later became known as the PNC Bank Building. This twenty-two-story, 380,000 square feet structure has become one of the easily recognized high-rise buildings located in downtown Baltimore City. In 2016, the building was sold, and Mona electric was contracted to work with the new owners as they began demolishing the interior spaces of the building in preparation to change from an office building, to a mixed-use occupancy. This new design for the building would be luxury style apartments on the upper half of the building, and offices on the lower half. Mona electric kept the existing Notifier fire alarm system operating while the demolition was being done and would later install a completely new Honeywell Gamewell/FCI fire alarm system. Mona first installed a new fire alarm riser and core functions for the base-building. Mona then worked with all trades during the apartment construction, and later the office spaces, most of which is for the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers. During the construction of the office floors, special consideration had to be given to safety and scheduling, due to the new apartments being now occupied. During this process all completion dates and inspections required of Mona for the fire alarm system were delivered on schedule and without delay. The new fire alarm system now encompasses over 650 initiating devices, including a FAAST early-detection smoke sensing system, and nearly 1000 notification devices. 2 Hopkins Plaza now has new purpose, and a state of the art fire alarm system to protect it.